Gosberton Station is located on the March to Lincoln section of the Great Eastern & Great Northern Joint line six miles north of Spalding in the flat south Lincolnshire fenland. The station, situated nearly two miles west of the village, was built in 1882 and closed in 1961. Our layout depicts the line as used during the 1950s.
The line carried a variety of traffic. Passenger trains consisted of through workings such as the Harwich to Liverpool “North Country Continental” known locally as the Boat Train, and the Colchester to York express, plus two stopping trains each way daily. At weekends there were “specials” from Yorkshire and the Midlands destined for the East Anglian coastal resorts, together with the occasional ECML expresses diverted between Peterborough and Doncaster. Goods trains dealt predominantly with coal traffic carried from Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire mines, via March and the old Great Eastern lines, to the London area and the subsequent return of empties.
The sequence of train formations held on the twelve-road fiddle yard allows for the running of the aforementioned expresses, local passenger, parcels, loaded and empty coal wagons, fitted, unfitted and pick-up freights, using locomotives and stock typically found on the line in the 1950s.